Self referral for local services
There are a number of local services that don't require you to speak with your GP for a referral. Listed below are services that you are able to make a self referral to, reducing the time before you can access the service.
Wellbeing 4 U
Wellbeing 4 U is a service delivered within Cardiff and the Vale and can help you to achieve the health changes you want and access the services you need, supporting you with:
- Enhancing your health and lifestyle eg. nutrition, exercise, motivation and behaviour change
- Supporting your mental health
- Connecting you to advice and support services i.e. financial services, housing, family, carers
Mind in the Vale
Mind in the Vale of Glamorgan works with people who experience mental distress to achieve and maintain a more fulfilling life and to play a full and equal part within the community.
Sexual Health clinics provide sexual health services for those with or without symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection and contraception including emergency contraception.
All services are confidential, you can attend a clinic without a medical referral anonymously. Any information given will not appear on your medical records without your permission.
Clinics offer a range of services that may include:
- cervical smear testing
- testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- advice about sexual health
- free condoms
- contraception, including emergency contraception
- HIV testing
- care of people who are HIV positive
- PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) - medication that can help prevent people from developing HIV if they've been exposed to it
- hepatitis B vaccination
- advice about abortion
- help for people who have been sexually assaulted
Welsh Eye Care Scheme
You can have an eye examination for free if you have an eye problem that occurs suddenly. Under the Eye Health Examination Wales (EHEW) initiative you are entitled to have your eyes examined free of charge by a registered optometrist if you have an eye problem that occured suddenly (acutely) which you think requires urgent attention.
You can also have an EHEW if you:
Cardiff and Vale Podiatry
Cardiff and Vale Podiatry accept self-referrals for Podiatry services.
Telephone: 01446 729551